Walsworth believes in sustaining natural resources with responsible corporate choices.
Printers are facing challenges related to the environment – from cost containment and resource availability to regulations and new technology.
Our commitment will be to minimize our carbon footprint by closely monitoring and developing strategies to reduce the environmental impact of our operations.
Through our certifications with the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) program and the Forest Stewardship Council ® (FSC) (FSC-C004755), Walsworth is committed and adheres to our established chain of custody procedures. Our procedures enable us to ensure that we purchase, track, produce, and deliver products with raw materials harvested and produced from responsible and renewable sources.
Walsworth holds Forest Stewardship Council ® (FSC) certification (FSC-C004755). The FSC is an international non-profit organization that promotes environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically viable management of the world’s forests. Applied worldwide, FSC principles are designed to ensure that water, soil and wildlife are protected as raw materials are replenished.
For more information, visit their website at www.fscus.org.
Walsworth holds certification to the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) program chain of custody standard.
The Sustainable Forestry Initiative® is based on 14 core principles that promote sustainable forest management, including measures to protect water quality, biodiversity, wildlife habitat, species at risk and Forests with Exceptional Conservation Value.
For more information, regarding the SFI, visit their website at www.sfiprogram.org.
Walsworth Environmental Approach
|Exploration of Alternative Energy Sources
Walsworth meets regularly with state and local energy organizations to promote research and implementation of alternative energy technologies, such as wind and solar power.
We use a cornstarch-based film laminate product for catalog and magazine covers that is more eco friendly than plastic.Reducing Our Carbon Footprint
Walsworth has taken the following steps to reduce our carbon footprint:
- Using EnergyStar models on motors and appliances
- Replaced light bulbs with high efficiency bulbs
- Require only certified Green Seal cleaning products in our facilities
- We painted our roof white to reflect sunlight, reduce the buildup of heat inside our plants and save on the energy to cool the buildings
Walsworth has implemented a variety of recycling programs:
- Unprinted “white” paper is collected from our Press and Bindery finishing areas, segregated from printed scrap, then compressed and baled for recycling.
- Aluminum plates are recycled, along with other scrap alloys such as copper, brass, steel and magnesium.
- Chemicals are distilled to water with residue and waste ink separated then incinerated off site.
- Corrugated is recycled – and may be used in the binder’s board we use for case bound books.
The web press inks Walsworth uses contain soy oils as part of the vehicle system, while our sheet fed inks utilize linseed oil made from flaxseed.
Click here to discuss your printing needs or call 800-369-2646, ext. 5716.