At Walsworth, “Creating value for our customers, employees and communities” is a slogan we live by. Committing to our communities includes protecting those communities through environmentally responsible practices. From the paper we use to the equipment we run, here are some of the ways Walsworth practices good environmental stewardship.
Protecting Our Forests
Walsworth has achieved Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and SFI certifications. These are independent organizations that seek to protect our forests. Through their many efforts, they ensure that the forest ecosystem is sustained, trees are repopulated for future generations and that people and the environment are treated with respect.
Our FSC/SFI certification is audited annually and verified through on-site checks and inspections.
- Papers: We offer papers that are partially and/or totally recycled. We also offer certified FSC and SFI papers.
- Boards: All boards used for hard covers are made from recycled materials.
- Inks and cleaners: Our inks consist of a significant percentage of vegetable oil derived from vegetable waste material like stems, hulls and other non-digestible parts of the plant. Our Purchasing Department made major strides finding and introducing us to materials with a dramatically smaller volatile organic compound footprint. All new materials go through a rigorous approval process to ensure our carbon footprint is reduced.
- Packaging: Nearly all our packaging is made with recycled fiber, with at least 35% post-consumer material.
- We recycle 100% of unused materials in the manufacturing process as a standard business process. When you visit our facilities, it’s hard to miss the enormous recycling bins stationed throughout. We recycle all scrap paper, aluminum, alloys and corrugated paper. Scrap metal is sorted and recycled. Unprinted “white” paper is separated from printed scrap to facilitate efficient recycling. Paper is baled for the most efficient transportation to the recycling facility.
We utilize the latest technology to reduce leftover material through proper planning and efficient equipment. We plan tighter spoilage allowances, mix fewer pounds of spot color ink and plan for the minimum sheet size for each job.
We also work on reducing our water usage. Through water recycling and improved processes, we have reduced our water usage and wastewater output by 60%.
We are committed to reinvesting in new equipment, which ensures we have the cleanest, most efficient pieces available. When we reinvested in an expansion of our web press offering, we installed a Goss Sunday web press, a low emission press whose atmospheric exhaust is mostly water vapor. The Sunday press is also designed to reduce paper waste with shorter paper cutoffs and fewer make-ready impressions.
In addition to our primary printing equipment, we upgraded our auxiliary equipment to EnergyStar models and replace light bulbs with the most efficient options available.
We send digital proofs online instead of printed proofs. Printed proofs require toner, paper, labels, wrapping and packaging, ground transport and air transport to meet deadlines. Online proofing offers 24/7 conveniences with no need to expend energy or materials.
While we value face-to-face meetings and see them as an important part of our company culture, we utilize virtual meeting capabilities to reduce energy consumption through travel.
Working with Companies who Care
We’ve been a national supplier to companies such as Target, Walmart and Hasbro that require certified suppliers who use responsible processes as well as fair labor practices and resources when manufacturing products. Partnerships with compassionate companies is yet another way Walsworth is committed to our environment and our customers.